[FC-6 x86_64] Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 woes

HomerJ homer420 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 22:53:05 UTC 2006

Hello.  First time posting here but figured I'd give it a shot since
I've not had luck yet at the fedoraforum ...

I just bought HP dv2120 laptop which has a broadcom wireless card
(lspci -vvv and -n output below). I did a fresh install of FC-6 GOLD
x86_64, kernel is 2.6.18-1.2798 and everything seems to work great
except the wireless.  From my googling it appears that this card
should be supported by the bcm43xx module.  I've read the bcm43xx
HOWTO in fedoraforum, as well as the excellent HOWTO David Woodhouse
x-posted to the fedora lists, however no luck thus far. The bcm43xx
module loads just fine, no errors in syslog or dmesg. I've tried a
handful of the drivers listed in the bcm43xx-fwcutter README, and the
fwcutter tool seems to extract the firmware fine. But NetworkManager
isn't seeing any wireless devices, and attempting to manually bring up
the interface also states that the device isn't present:

[dave at smithers ~]$ ifup eth1
bcm43xx device eth1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

Is this possibly related to running the x86_64 spin of FC6?  I'm
considering doing an x86 install but would prefer not to as I really
was hoping to run 64-bit on this laptop.

I'm not sure how to further troubleshoot this problem. Any/all advice
is greatly appreciated!

~Homer~

-----
01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390
WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 1363
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
        Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit-
Queue=0/0 Enable-
                Address: 00000000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [d0] Express Legacy Endpoint IRQ 0
                Device: Supported: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag+
                Device: Latency L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
                Device: AtnBtn- AtnInd- PwrInd-
                Device: Errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
                Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                Link: Supported Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s, Port 0
                Link: Latency L0s <4us, L1 <64us
                Link: ASPM Disabled RCB 64 bytes CommClk- ExtSynch-
                Link: Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x1
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel
-----
[dave at smithers ~]$ lspci -n
01:00.0 0280: 14e4:4311 (rev 01)

--
"To alcohol!  The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."
-Homer Simpson