NMI received for unknown reason 29 on CPU 0.

Mitja Mihelic mitja.mihelic at cosylab.com
Mon Sep 4 14:24:51 UTC 2006

We're running FC4 with the 2.6.16-1.2115_FC4 kernel on an Intel based
server with a 3GHz P4 HT CPU.
It runs OK for a while and then it starts to output messages at the rate
of about 65 per second, and then it freezes.

Here's a sample output:

Sep  4 10:39:26 camserver kernel: Do you have a strange power saving
mode enabled?
Sep  4 10:39:26 camserver kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason
29 on CPU 0.
Sep  4 10:39:26 camserver kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
Sep  4 10:39:26 camserver kernel: Do you have a strange power saving
mode enabled?
Sep  4 10:39:26 camserver kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason
39 on CPU 0.
Sep  4 10:39:26 camserver kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
Sep  4 10:39:26 camserver kernel: Do you have a strange power saving
mode enabled?

The obvious question is: what is this thing anyway, and how do we make
it go away ?

Thanks.

--
Mitja