What is the language "British"?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Sep 6 19:03:59 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Tuesday 05 September 2006 12:25, Michael P. Brininstool wrote:
>>> dictionary.com sez basically that fuse is the thing you light to blow
>>> something up and the fuze is an electronic version of same.
>> And as a C.E.T. of 34 years, and chasing electrons for a living for 
>> 57 or so, I have yet to see the hot wire device designed to open a 
>> circuit when too much current flows called anything but a fuse, with 
>> an 's'.  Thats not 
> Yep.
>> saying it couldn't be so spelled in other locales, but here, there's 
>> only one way to spell it unless the writer failed spelling.
> Then dictionary.com is wrong. A fuze is a device for detonating a
> weapon. A fuse is an electrical device. I've been doing electronics
> for 40 years, and *never* have encountered the term "fuze" to mean
> an electronics component.
> Furthermore, I looked in a "real" dictionary, and that's what it
> verified.
> Mike
*My ancient dictionary, about as fragile as the dead sea scrolls, even 
shows pictures of several "fuzes!"  Two have propellers and they 
obviously screw into the nose of a projectile/bomb.

"FUZE noun  A mechanical or electrical device that initiates the 
explosive charge of a shell, bomb, grenade, etc."

Funk & Wagnalls New College Standard Dictionary  C. 1947

Thunderbird Compose spell checker can't deal with Fuze though!

Bob Goodwin*

More information about the users mailing list