Disaster now no GUI

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Sep 13 18:13:29 UTC 2006

Jim Douglas <jdz99 <at> hotmail.com> writes:
> >Edit the boot commands in GRUB, add a space and the number 3 to the kernel
> >command line (telling the kernel to boot in runlevel 3, i.e. without GUI),
> >log
> >in as root and run:
> >system-config-display --reconfig
> >Configure a valid (resolution, color depth, refresh rate) triplet, click OK
> >and
> >reboot (this time without forcing runlevel 3).
> >
> >         Kevin Kofler
>
> system-config-display --reconfig doesn't work from linux rescue.

Which is why I asked you to boot the live system into runlevel 3, not to boot
from the rescue disk. This kind of situations is what GRUB lets you edit the
kernel command line for.

I forgot one thing though in the above instructions: Your kernel command line
probably contains "rhgb" (as this is set by default). That is the Red Hat
Graphical Boot, which runs X11 even before you can login to the console. So
remove "rghb" from the kernel command line and write "3" (without the quotes)
there instead.

        Kevin Kofler