FC4

Alastair McKinley amckinley03 at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 20 14:03:53 UTC 2006

On 9/20/06, David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org> wrote:

> "Alastair McKinley" <amckinley03 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Dave,
> >
> >Thanks for your help.  This is what I've got:
> >

> >[root at d6173 alastair]# rpm -q --whatprovides
> >/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cElementTree.so
> >python-elementtree-1.2.6-4
> >[root at d6173 alastair]# rpm -q --whatprovides `which python`
> >python-2.4.3-8.FC4
> >[root at d6173 alastair]# rpm -q --whatprovides `which yum`
> >yum-2.4.1-1.fc4
> >[root at d6173 alastair]# yum update
> >There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
> >required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
> >
> >   /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cElementTree.so: undefined symbol:
> >PyUnicodeUCS4_DecodeUTF8
> >
> >Please install a package which provides this module, or
> >verify that the module is installed correctly.
> >
> >It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
> >current version of Python, which is:
> >2.4.1 (#2, May  3 2005, 17:14:18)
> >[GCC 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)]
> >
> >If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
> >the yum faq at:
> >  http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq
> >

> >I've been using yum with virtually no problems for a year.  As far as I
> know
> >(!) I havent changed any settings related to character sets, in fact I
> dont
> >even know how to check.
> >What should I do to check this out?
> >
> >Is it possible I have a corrupt shared object file?
> >
> >Thanks again,
> >
> >Alastair
> >
> >P.S. Apologies for the stupid subject line, I sent the email before I
> wrote
> >anything descritive in there!
> >
> Sorry about the wild goose chase on the character set thing.  Its
> something changeable through an environment variable so its something
> that could easily be changed.  At least that would explain the sudden
> change in behavior.  After I pursued this line for a little while it
> dawned on me that the version of python being reported doesn't make sense.
>
> It looks like the copy of python that's in yum's path has regressed to
> something REALLY old.  rpm -q showed python-2.4.3-8.FC4 but yum is
> complaining about a problem with 2.4.1 compiled with gcc 3.2.2.  When I
> run python from the command line on my FC4 box, I get:
>
> [root at bend ~]# python
> Python 2.4.3 (#1, Jun 13 2006, 16:41:18)
> [GCC 4.0.2 20051125 (Red Hat 4.0.2-8)] on linux2
>
> The version number that python reports matches the version number for
> the python rpm.  Also, the gcc version python was compiled with matches
> the current version of gcc for FC4.
>
> Try running python (if it will run) from the command line and see what
> it gives for a start-up message (ctrl-D to exit the python CLI).  If it
> matches the error message you're getting then at least things are
> consistent and you may need to just re-install python.  Not sure how
> [...]

Ok I've still got a problem I dont quite understand!

So i did this:

rpm -i --force ~alastair/python-2.4.3-8.FC4.i386.rpm

However, python still does this:

[alastair at d6173 sh]$ python Python 2.4.1 (#2, May  3 2005, 17:14:18)
[GCC 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)] on linux2

[alastair at d6173 sh]$ ls -l /usr/bin/python*
-rwxr-xr-x  2 root root 3348 Jun 13 21:41 /usr/bin/python
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    6 Sep 20 15:00 /usr/bin/python2 -> python
-rwxr-xr-x  2 root root 3348 Jun 13 21:41 /usr/bin/python2.4
[alastair at d6173 sh]$

So the only thing that looks like it has been changed is the symlink
/usr/bin/python2

Is there another rpm command I should be using for this?

Best regards,

Alastair