Dual boot problem

ronald rwarsow at online.de
Thu Sep 28 22:15:32 UTC 2006

Phil Meyer wrote:
> Grumpy_Penguin wrote:
>> I have Kubuntu 6.06.1 amd 64 version installed on HDa 80 GB
>> I installed Fedora Core 6 64 bit version on HDb 300 Gb
>> when I rebooted grub could not find FC 6
>> Any idea what I did wrong?
>>
> The only thing you did 'wrong' was not to decide in advance who gets to
> control grub. :)
>
> Here is how you 'fix' it.
> Boot into KUbuntu.
> Mount your FC6 boot partition on /mnt
> # mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt
> # cd /mnt/grub
> # cat grub.conf
>
> examine the indicated default boot record.
> copy that boot record (4 lines) into /etc/grub.conf
>
> all done!

a problem could be that you have to do this every time after a kernel
update is installed, therefore i would do the following:

install fc6 boot loader to fc6 root partition /dev/hdb1 (grub-install)
and
chainload in Kbuntu's boot configuration - iirc menu.lst - fc6.

a entry:

title FC 6
         root (hd1,0)
chainloader     +1

could do the job.
i hope hd1,0 is correct.

advantage:     no need to change the grub entries after updates
disadvantage:  you will see two grub menu's (1st Kunbuntu, 2cd fedora)

--
    ronald