intel core 2 duo

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Sat Sep 30 15:10:43 UTC 2006

Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 11:46 AM -0600 9/29/06, Phil Meyer wrote:
>
>> Tony Nelson wrote:

>>> Proof?  Examples?  Documentation that the Intel Core 2 Duo does not have 64
>>> bit ALUs and data paths?
>>>

>> Documentation is plentiful, but 'proof' does not exist for anything in
>> this world.  Lets just call it documentation.

> What balderdash.  Prove it or shut up.  Show that 64 bit performance of the
> Intel Core 2 Duo is half that of 32 bit performance or stop spreading FUD.

You will please notice, Mr. Troll, that the original question was about
Core 2 Duo.
My 'claims' are:
There are no benefits to running intel CPUs (other than Itanium) in
64bit mode.  (other than extreme memory requirements which do not impact
today's laptops)
There are definite benefits to running AMD 64bit CPUs in 64bit mode.

Since the original question was regarding intel CPUs, and since the AMD
statements were an aside, lets focus on just intel Core 2 duo as the
original author questioned.

Lets take a look at some benchmark tests done by intel and submitted to
SPEC.
Lets also assume that all hardware vendors go to extreme measures to get
the best performance numbers out of the systems being tested.

Start with this one:
http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/cpu2006.html

Kindly notice that the best performer in the CINT2006 (26) section was
intel Core Duo.
Lets take a closer look:
http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/res2006q3/cpu2006-20060904-00085.html

Please scroll down far enough on that page to notice the Software section.
What do we see here?  That intel 'claims' that the best performance for
Core 2  Duo is achieved  in 32bit mode.

Its hard to imagine what you might accept as 'proof'.  However, for
thinking persons it is not very difficult to discern that intel is not
pushing the 64bitness of Core 2 Duo, despite the fact that 'viiv'
requires it.

Again, just for the fun of it, lets ask Dell, the largest purveyor of
intel based platforms if it sells a Core 2 Duo laptop with Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition.

I come up with a blank.  How about you?