Nameserver Problem [more] -

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Apr 1 21:58:26 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

custom files of mine.  That lan.conf is something I put in there,
myself.  The reason being that modifying original files can cause you
problems when you update bind.  Your modifications may disappear.
Writing them externally means that the most you have to do to get them
back is insert an include line, rather than redo all the other things
you did.

I found the earlier messages and copied the named.conf and lan.conf files into the specified locations.

The next question is how to insert the zone files into lan.conf?

does

zone "lan.example.com" {
        type slave;
        file  "slaves/lan.example.com.zone";
        masters { 192.168.1.2; };

become:

zone "tacoda.net" {
        type slave;
        file  "slaves/tacoda.net.zone";
        masters { 192.168.1.2; };

And then continue with that format for the addresses to be dumped?

Then the problem becomes harvesting the addresses.  Is there a way
to get them other than reading them as they flash across the bottom of the screen in Firefox?
I guess I can collect them that way but it is prone to errors.  It will be worth the effort to me if I must.

Bob Goodwin