Announcing Fedora 7 Test 3 (6.92)

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Apr 2 05:28:32 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> You can download either one of the Live CD's which are single CD's
> and installable to your hard disk or you can download the 6MB
> boot.iso from the images folder and boot with "linux askmethod" and
> select nfs/http/ftp for doing a network installation.

To take this on a mild tangent...

One downside of just grabbing the boot.iso and installing is that
there is no signature for that file (or the others in the images/ dir
of the Fedora os tree.  I asked about this on the devel list last week
but didn't get much in the way of replies.

It seems to me that starting the OS install from a bootable file that
cannot be easily verified[1] is a problem that shouldn't exist.  All
of the packages Fedora pushes are gpg signed, as are the full .iso
images.  I've not looked at the anaconda source to see if gpg checking
is enabled during installation, but I would think (hope) that it would
(should) be.

Do you see this as a problem Rahul?  I think it is and would like to
see it corrected but I'm not sure where to take it.  I may end up
opening a bug about it some afternoon, just so it doesn't go away
(assuming there isn't one opened already).

I think the boot.iso and other network install methods are really cool
and very handy.  I would recommend it more often if it weren't for the
problem of it not being verifiable.

[1] yes, you could download the .iso for disc 1 or the dvd, verify it,
then extract the boot.iso from that.  But that rather defeats the
purpose of having that small boot.iso in the first place. :)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a
rigged demo