Google TiSP, free in-home wireless broadband service

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 21:50:49 UTC 2007

--- Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 19:11 -0700, Antonio Olivares
> wrote:
> > Google is at it again with a new service called
> > TiSP, a free wireless internet system.  The catch,
> you
> > can read and find out.  Just install the google
> > toolbar and other things.  Find out more,
> >
> > http://www.google.com/tisp/
>
> You're a day late, as far as us Aussies are
> concerned, it's the 2nd of
> April, here.  ;-)  I always preferred the gags that
> sounded plausible,
> and you had to get much further into them before you
> worked out that
> they were a gag.  That one gets outrageously stupid
> far too quickly.
>
> --
> (This box runs FC6, my others run FC4 & FC5, in case
> that's
>  important to the thread.)
>
> Don't send private replies to my address, the
> mailbox is ignored.
> I read messages from the public lists.
>

> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list at redhat.com
> To unsubscribe:

Tim,

   You were right.  It went by me.  I really thought
that it was serious.  I tried getting the kit for a
friend, but I could not send the information.
Carefully reading and checking on the internet,
confirmed your suspicions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google's_hoaxes

2007: Google TiSP
Google TiSP logoGoogle TiSP was a fictitious free
broadband service supposedly released by Google. This
service would make use of a standard toilet and sewage
lines to provide free Internet connectivity at a speed
of 8 Mbps (or up to 32 Mbps with a paid plan). A user
drops a weighted end of a long, Google-supplied
fiber-optic cable in their toilet and flushes it.
Around 60 minutes later, the end would be recovered
and connected to the Internet by a "Plumbing Hardware
Dispatcher (PHD)." The user then connects their end to
a Google-supplied wireless router and run the
Google-supplied installation media on a Windows XP or
Vista computer ("Mac and Linux support coming soon").
Alternatively, a user could request a professional
installation, where Google would deploy nanobots
through the plumbing to complete the process. The free
service would be supported by "discreet DNA
sequencing" of "personal bodily output" to display
online ads that relate to culinary preferences and
personal health.

Please forgive me for sending this crap to the list.

Thanks,

Antonio