VNC Problem

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Apr 3 03:32:47 UTC 2007

Gene Lapointe" <gene at thelapointefamily.com> wrote:

> In my xstartup file, i also had this line
> > > [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup.
> > >

> > My xstartup may have been carried forward from a previous release.
> > Seems to work fine though.  The main thing is to comment out the
> > xsetroot, vncconfig, and xterm entries.  These won't affect just getting
> > things working but the default is minimal.
> >

> Ok, we're getting somewhere.  /etc/vnc/xstartup doesn't exist.

If /etc/vnc/xstartup doesn't exist, [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec
/etc/vnc/xstartup will fail and vnc won't work.  Try converting your
.vnc/xstartup to use exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.  I've included my
.vnc/xstartup below if you just want to drop a copy into ~/.vnc on one
of your systems to see if it works for you.
>> > You might want to check that /etc/vnc/xstartup exists and is executable
>> > by your VNC user (none of my systems with vnc-server installed have that
>> > file).  If not, try using the relevant portion of the .vnc/xstartup I
>> > provided instead.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Dave
~/.vnc/xstartup:

#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
# xsetroot -solid grey
# vncconfig -iconic &
# xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
gnome-session

-- Ambrose Bierce