Nameserver Problem [more] -

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Apr 3 09:59:35 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

> There's no GUI involved.  It's how it works, doing all that anything's
> supposed to do with the serial number - increment the prior value.  But
> initially, you start off with a pre-created zone file.  If you'd created
> it using a date-number, it'll only make sense on the first day.  As DHCP
> adds and removes information from the zone record, the serial number
> just changes by one each time.

Oh, you like to let clients register their names in the DNS.  That explains
it.  I've never been fond of that for security reasons.

> Which leads to:
>
>> If you have multiple admins and you don't have a scheme in place as
>> well as documented procedures then your problems go much deeper.
>
> The problem with people presuming, as many do, that just playing with
> dates is fine.  When dates really have nothing to do with serial
> numbers.

A number is a number. If I wrote 20,070,403 you would not think of it as a
date.  The starting "serial" number is arbitrary.  The fact that I picked
19960712 as my starting serial number and it happened to coincide with July
the 12, 1996 is pure coincidence.  :-)

As long as you increment it by at least one, who cares?  I like it as it
helps me keep track of things.  It is not for everyone.  You do it your way,
I'll do it mine.  Both will work.