Nameserver Problem [more] -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 4 08:27:53 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 11:52 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> For zone files which are an ultimate answer and thus will never
> change, a convention is to use a serial number of "42".

Hehehe.  I'd seen 42 used before, and knew the joke behind it was
related to Douglas Adams, but never heard the reason for using it
explained in that manner.  ;-)

> The procedure for decrementing a zone serial number is, umm,
> convoluted.

Yes, I've read some of the ways to do it, but just about all (such as
setting it to zero, then something after updates have rippled through)
require manual checking, and perhaps manual intervention.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.