Backup My Ferdora Core 6 Server

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Wed Apr 4 15:26:55 UTC 2007

At 13:18 04/04/2007, you wrote:

>My worse case scenario is that the laptop goes down with a hardware
>fault and corrupt drive. This would mean that I would probably lose
>everything except my html and php web pages.
>
>What I would like is some detailed instructions on the best way to
>back these up. I have HDD's that can be connected via USB if
>necessary or I could place backups on my main PC which is easier to switch on.
>
>As the main system content of the server only changes once a week
>when I download updates I initially require a backup to restore the
>system with my main settings. This could just be a monthly backup as
>downloading the updates is not a major issue. I would be quite happy
>to mainly backup the mySQL databases on a regular basis.

Isn't Mondo supposed to be good?

http://www.mondorescue.org/

I've heard the same story as Robert - don't use laptop drives in
servers. They're not engineered to withstand constant running. OTOH I
believe all 3.5inch Seagate drives are now guaranteed for 5 years.

If audible noise is a problem, what I've got running at home is a
fanless Jetway board with an old Seagate 20GB drive and a 1U power
supply. With the hard drive sitting on acoustic isolators (rubber
bands) the only noise you can hear is the power supply fan - because
it's a small fan and needs to spin at relatively high RPM. With the
noisy little case fans removed from a Venus 669 case, that too is
almost inaudible.

Dave