ADSL modem, configured at boot time

Martin Marques martin at bugs.unl.edu.ar
Wed Apr 4 14:56:37 UTC 2007

Martin Marques escribió:
> Tim escribió:
>> On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 15:03 -0300, Martin Marques wrote:
>>> # modprobe br2684
>>> # br2684ctl -c 0 -b -a 0.33
>>> # ifconfig nas0 up
>>> # adsl-setup
>>> # ifup ppp0
>>>
>>> Now, with the exception of adsl-setup, all the other commands I have
>>> to execute then after booting the PC to get a conection to my ISP. I
>>> there a way to get all this to work each time I reboot?
>>
>> Edit the /etc/rc.local script.
>>
>> NB:  You may want, or need, to enter the full path to those commands,
>> e.g. like "/sbin/ifconfig" rather than just "ifconfig".
>
> Yes, that's what I did, but shouldn't there be a way of adding,
> specifically the br2684ctl line, this commands before the ppp0 interface
> is brought up using the network scripts?

If anyone ever needs to configure this modem, this is what has to be
done. Add these lines to /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias nas0 br2684
install br2684 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install br2684 && \
    /usr/sbin/br2684ctl -c 0 -b -a 0.33 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

Remember that you have to put acording values to the -a option of
br2684ctl that reflect how your ISP is working.

Hope it helps.

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués          |   Programador, DBA