'Best Practices' for downloads ??

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 19:26:00 UTC 2007

Brian Porter wrote:

>> For example, for downloaded rpm and *.tar.gz files I create a new
>> folder  /downloads/newapp and move the downloaded file there. I want to
>> keep an original copy of the download.
>> When I use the Archive Manager, where is the best place to put the
>> opened package?
>> /downloads/newapp; /tmp; /usr/local, What?
>> Then when I install, where is the best place to install /usr/share
>> or /usr/local or /usr/local/share or whatever.
>>

> I found myself in a similar situation.. From what I understand, Fedora
> Core 6 supports the File System Hierarchy Standard v2.3
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

The problem is that you want your own builds to go in a different place
than anything packaged and you may want your choice of which to run in
the cases where you are building newer/beta versions of something that
also happens to be a packaged program.  The usual approach is to put
everything you build from a tarball download under /usr/local to keep it
out of the way of rpm installs, but that may take some fiddling with
PATH or symlinks to make the right version run when you want it.

But, how much is there that you can't find already packaged for fedora
these days?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com