Fedora 7 - RPM Build Nvidia 9755

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Apr 7 18:16:20 UTC 2007

Ric Moore schrieb:
> On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 10:26 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>> The Livna mailing list threads that you referenced show a completely
>> different failure than what was originally reported in this thread.
>> And just because there are SELinux problems with the Livna NVIDIA
>> driver RPMs doesn't mean that the same problem exists in the official
>> NVIDIA driver packages.
> I have to concur with Lonni. I was having all kinds of libGL problems
> which were fixed by switching to the "official" nVidia driver. I'm no
> hardware guru, by any stretch of the imagination, but my problem is
> fixed. Ric

Well, it's a two-edged sword:

- Livna can't easily replace (nor does it what's two) the official libGL
file /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 . That's why it puts the libGL.so.1 from nvidia
into a different place and tell the linker to look there. That works
quite good, but doesn't in case the path to the libGL is hardcoded in
the application with an rpath. That is bad, and one could consider that
as bug in the app

- Nvidia afaik (I didn't check the past months) replaces the
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1 ; but everytime Fedora ships a new mesa-libGL update
(that contains /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 ) the nvidia file is being replaced
by the official fedora file again, so 3D will break

The livna driver problem maybe could be worked around, but that's not
easy. Any volunteers?

CU
thl