OT FireFox - ascii/html symbols displayed

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Apr 7 20:32:40 UTC 2007

linuxmaillists at charter.net wrote:
> Most of the ascii/html symbols display correctly in FF on
> Linux but some don't (even less display correctly on
> Windows). Is there any kind of plugin or extension
> available to get the rest of them to display?
>
> Examples:
>
>  shows rectangle box with a 007F number inside it.
>      show a diamond with a ?
> inside it.
>
> the higher the numbers go the more this happens with even
> less actually showing a symbol and not a place holder.
>
> I have created some tables displaying these symbols up to
> ㋈ there are a lot of cool symbols but there are a
> lot more place holders than symbols.

You may want to take a look at:
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_13.html
http://www.chami.com/tips/Internet/050798I.html

 - Ÿ Unused

They are not part of the standard HTML character set, so there use
is unpredictable. I am not sure, but I suspect the results depend on
the font being used.

Mikkel