Fedora 7 - RPM Build Nvidia 9755

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 04:06:36 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 14:35 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 07 April 2007, Ric Moore wrote:
> >On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 10:26 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> >> The Livna mailing list threads that you referenced show a completely
> >> different failure than what was originally reported in this thread.
> >> And just because there are SELinux problems with the Livna NVIDIA
> >> driver RPMs doesn't mean that the same problem exists in the official
> >> NVIDIA driver packages.
> >
> >I have to concur with Lonni. I was having all kinds of libGL problems
> >which were fixed by switching to the "official" nVidia driver. I'm no
> >hardware guru, by any stretch of the imagination, but my problem is
> >fixed. Ric
>
> I have to agree with Ric here. I never did get dkmk or whatever its called
> to work even though I did ask for directions here, so I've been doing the
> official nvidia way, from their latest linux 9755 build.  No detectable
> errors, none, nada, it just works.  What it is, is a PITA to have to do
> it everytime I boot a different kernel, which may be 5 or 6 times a day.
> But that's my choice as I play the role of the canary.  As for fighting
> with selinux, nope, disabled, end of discussion.

I notice a significant speed increase as well, at least about 25% or so
faster. The application I was using kept crapping out with all kinds of
GL errors and segfaults. I updated the kernel, the livna drivers and
devel for both. I've battled this for months, never suspecting that
something so cintegral as a video driver would be broken and stay broken
upgrade after upgrade. I've been patient and spun my wheels late into
many many nights for naught, which kinda jerks me off guys. I've
bothered the living Hell out of the Croquet folks, who spun their wheels
trying to see if it was their problem. I installed the nVidia official
driver as the last ditch intervention and that worked. What can I say...
I've installed at least 10 kernels and 10 kmod-nvidia upgrades through
this saga, starting around November of last year. During all of this, on
the Croquet mail list, people using Linux were reporting "working out of
the box"! I felt like a piece of ham.

My SELinux is disabled and wish it could be completely removed. Us older
farts aren't promised tomorrow and like to have stuff working in the
here and now. My two-cents, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net