Trying to get wireless card to work in FC6

Mike C mike.cohler at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 19:14:04 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy <tim <at> birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> writes:

> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> > Well for wireless connections NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDaemon is
> > the way to go. They run wpa_supplicant and it mostly just works.
>
> Sorry to be mean,
> but NM doesn't "mostly work" for me.
> It sometimes works, on some of my WiFi devices,
> and doesn't work at all on others,
snip
> Also, when it doesn't work it leaves the WiFi system in a mess,
> by re-writing various config files.
> [IMHO, a program should undo any changes it has made
> if and when it is removed.]
>
> NM is definitely NOT the universal solution to WiFi problems.

I tend to agree.  I have tried it with my two cards and neither work with NM,
nor with the cli tools for standard network. So every avenue I have tried does
not work for me for neither my Dlink G650 (H/W v B2) nor my Cisco Aironet 350
card.

On the suggestion from an earlier posting I tried the first FC6 kernel with my
Aironet 350 card and it made no difference - so I think there must have been
updates to other packages which have stopped this card working in the meantime.

I do believe that there must be driver bugs related to this card for the newer
kernels...  I have put a ticket into the madwifi site at
http://madwifi.org/ticket/1253
and hopefully there will be some progress - however I have hit the buffers on
this one at present.

Mike