Fedora/RH policies sometimes suck

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Apr 10 16:14:31 UTC 2007

linuxmaillists at charter.net wrote:
> I just learned that Fedora stripped some functionality from
> OOo.  That really sucks because the functionality they
> stripped I needed on one of my projects. That caused the
> project to take much longer than it should have.
>
> I know about the mp3 stuff.
>
> What other software has stripped functionality? Is there a
> list of the software Fedora has stripped down?
>
> I think the need to learn how to roll my own is getting much
> greater to the point I am going to force myself to learn
> the hard stuff.  I have procrastinated on a lot of things
> but not any more.

Last week I downloaded and installed the rpms from OpenOffice and I will
tell you that I never knew how screwed up the Fedora version for FC6 was
until then.  So much faster in almost everything, including file saves.

But the biggest thing for me was the ability to run macro's in a decent
time.  I have a macro that would take an hour to run in the fedora
release but only minutes in the OOo release.

And as I said before, the file saves are in seconds compared to almost a
minute for the same spreadsheet file.

I guess that I would also like to know what features are missing from
other applications.  I know I run into the problem when I go to the
authors site and find that the instructions are different than the
application that I am running.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.