RAID-1 Question

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Tue Apr 10 16:33:43 UTC 2007

    I have a server that has build-in (in BIOS) the option to use either
Adaptec or Intel based RAID.  We're going to use it as a RAID-1 (and
I've opted to use the Adaptec setup.)  However, I'm wondering two things:

    1. Should I use the BIOS to create/manage my RAIDs or should I let
linux do that for me?

    2. Can I add drives to the RAID in the future and simply GROW it,
without losing information?  Or am I going to be adding more RAID
volumes as I add pairs of drives?

    The board is a SuperMicro SuperServer 7045B-8R+ with the matching
7045B-TR+ chassis.

    -- A