[Fedora] Re: Alternatives to du

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Apr 10 17:35:33 UTC 2007

On Tuesday, Apr 10th 2007 at 17:26 +0100, quoth Alan Cox:

=>> this is exactly my problem I believe.  I have a 4TB RAID SAN and the
=>> problem directory holds well over a million small files.  Even a
=>> directory under that directory, du takes almost 40 minutes to total up 74GB.
=>
=>The directory code in ext2 and ext3 isn't designed for a million files in
=>a single directory. Its a bizzare corner case. If you split the files
=>into subdirectories (eg by a hash) you'll get far saner numbers

>From way back in the cobwebs of history, I seem to remember something
magic about the number 188 (I could be wrong about the number). At that
point, if a directory crossed over to having that number of files, then
the directory would go from 1 to 2 blocks. Of course, the number of blocks
would never go down even if you deleted the excess files.

I'm curious if that's still true under ext{2,3} and what the number of
files it takes to cause blocks to be added. Anyone?

steveo at syslang.net