Alsa 1.0.14rc1 issues

Christian Burger christian.burger at abtg.net
Tue Apr 10 20:46:19 UTC 2007

> Christian Burger wrote:
> > Is anyone else having issues with alsa 1.0.14.rc1?  I got bit by this
> update
> > and can't get any sound via alsa.  Is there anyway to downgrade to the
> > 1.0.13?  My sound is integrated on a shuttle SN25P and it is a
> > ICE1724/Envy24 VIA chipset.  I'm running FC6 on x86_64 platform if this
> is
> > pertinent.
> >

> On my laptop with Intel HDA sound, rc1 would generate an error when
> you tried to use the mixer, or run "aplay -l" - something about a
> file not found. (I don't remember the exact error.) I upgraded to
> rc3, and it works. I have to change options I was using in
> /etc/modprobe.conf as well. I needed model=auto or something like
> that. (I am not on the laptop right now, so I can not check.)
>
> The nice thing about rc3 is that it will generate an rpm for you so
> you can upgrade yourself. (There should be an updated RPM from AT
> RPMs soon...)
>
> I don't think 1.0.14.rc1 in an official FC6 release - at least mine
> came from AT RPMs...
>
> Mikkel

Yeah, it's an official fedora package in the updates repo.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/6/x86_64/als
a-lib-1.0.13-1.fc6.x86_64.rpm

It does have issues but I've seen no solutions till your suggestion of rc3.
I was happy with 1.0.13 but that's what happens when you don't pay attention
to upgrading packages.  I was shocked to find out a release candidate had
been pushed down.  If I wanted bleeding edge I'd be running FC7 test
release.  Doh!  I'll post back to the list if rc3 cures my ills.