Problem configuring network

Mika Penttilä mika.penttila at kolumbus.fi
Wed Apr 11 03:47:11 UTC 2007

Phil Meyer wrote:
> Knute Johnson wrote:
>> I've got an FC6 box that I'm having some trouble getting the network
>> configured correctly.  I keep getting the error below when eth0 is
>> started.  This happens on reboot or if I attempt to restart the
>> network.    Networking works but I keep getting the error message.
>> Any ideas where I've gone wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> knute...
>>
>> [root at knute knute]# /sbin/service network restart
>> Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
>> Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
>> SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
>> Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
>> Bringing up interface eth0:  sysfs class device: Permission denied
>> Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.3.5.
>>                                                            [FAILED]
>
> OK, since you and magnus are having the same issue, and at least one
> other has confirmed a similar or same condition, we have enough to
> drop the problem out of the anomaly real, and into something related
> to a recent update (or something similar).
>
> I have another piece of info that may or not be related:
>
> The 2.6.20 kernels will NOT enable the ethernet driver for anaconda
> properly.
>
> I use:
>
> linux text ks=http://server/ks/developer.ks
>
> to begin an install.  On three different systems now (all attempts I
> have tried) this fails with interface failures.  F3 shows DHCP READ
> fails because network is DOWN, yet F4 shows the network up normally.
>
> I roll my own initrd.img with the current kernels using pungi, and
> this behavior began with 2.6.20 kernels.
>
> The problems together indicate a larger issue with the basic ethernet
> drivers in the 2.6.20 kernels.
>
> So, the acid test is for you to boot an older kernel, check the
> problem, boot the latest kernel, check the problem.
>
> Is it a kernel (newer basic ethernet driver) problem?
>
> Can you try a pre 2.6.20 kernel?
>
> If it works, then we need to check bugzilla ...

I can confirm having a similar problem with fc6 latest updates on
x86_64. I'm pretty sure it's a selinux problem and has nothing to do
with duplicate addresses, /var/log/messages gets these :

udit(1176236857.784:7): avc:  denied  { search } for  pid=2155
comm="arping" name="/" dev=sysfs ino=1
scontext=system_u:system_r:netutils_t:s0
tcontext=system_u:object_r:sysfs_t:s0 tclass=dir

and the ifup script thinks it's because of a duplicate address while
selinux is denying arping.

--Mika