Please Lawd! Not again!! <falls down weeping> xine broken all over again

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 14:01:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 13:58 +0100, Mark Knoop wrote:
> At 07:45 on 11 Apr 2007, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> >
> > > I know the feeling, Ric.  Xine gave up on me a few weeks ago -
> > > without warning.  It just refused to play my disks.
> >
> > You have reported these bugs/problems at
> > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/
> > against Fedora Extras/xine-lib right? :)
>
> Oh no, it's much more fun to whinge and moan the "things don't work" on
> the mailing lists that to put a bit of effort in, trace the source of
> the problem and report a bug.
>
> Then you can also throw in some random, unrelated annoyances (quite
> what kde-control-center's dependency on gstreamer has to do with xine
> working or otherwise I have no idea).
>
> And finish up with a few paragraphs that make any sane reader realise
> that you actually _don't_ want things to work, because then you would
> have nothing to complain about.

Mark, that was a bullshit reply. If your Momma read what you wrote to a
class act like Anne, she'd haul your ass to the wood shed for several
rounds.

Again, filing a bug-report with no specifics to offer isn't good and
likely to be rightly ignored. Filing a beef here, seeing who might have
a clue first, leads to a quality bug report instead of "it just doesn't
work." I've spent a good bit of the last two nights trying to fix it,
shuffling rpms among the repos. So far nothing works, which is why I
asked for clarification about libs with the numerals attached to the
file names. I have not hit a combination that would yield a good
result.

But, you didn't know that. Yet you allowed yourself to remote view our
intentions and come up with a abusive smear against our characters out
of your cognitive distortions. Sorry, not allowed. Especially where Anne
is concerned, as she pays her dues here. I try to, even though I enjoy a
good rant.

By hit and miss and pure dumb luck, I removed the ~/.xine directory and
when it cranked back up it created a nice trace to file. That is worthy
of being put to bugzilla. In the future I will know to do just that. We
had this problem just a few months ago and the list had a rather longish
thread over it. Now it's broken again. I felt a justified to post a
rant, as Anne, I and a couple of others did the work then. Now it's
doing the same thing again. Right in the middle of tax time. Don't be
writing shit you wouldn't have to guts to say in front of my face, where
it would be up close and real personal. You don't know me or Anne, who
is a class act, well enough. It's best not to do that to anyone. I think
an apology is in order to us both.

Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net