Phantom Processes Appearing

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Apr 11 17:44:34 UTC 2007

I have been fighting with web-based program, running locally. I happened
to run 'ps -ae' to check that httpd was running. I rebooted and did the
same thing.
  2636 ?        00:00:00 konsole
  2637 ?        00:00:00 evolution-alarm
  2639 ?        00:00:00 firefox
  2641 ?        00:00:00 gconfd-2
  2654 ?        00:00:00 run-mozilla.sh
  2659 ?        00:00:01 firefox-bin
  2660 pts/1    00:00:00 bash
  2683 ?        00:00:00 bonobo-activati
  2694 ?        00:00:00 evolution-data-
  2718 pts/1    00:00:00 ps

Nothing from 'konsole' down to 'ps' seems to make sense...especially the
instance of firefox, the evolution stuff and bonobo. I had to google to
discover what bonobo is. And firefox was shut down when I re-booted.

So: where do these things come from and how do I get rid of them
(starting again. on boot).

(No, they are on started as services...In fact, I didn't think I still
had evolution on this computer...)

Geoff