Desktop Effects

Derek Tracy tracyde at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 23:38:34 UTC 2007

On 4/10/07, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
> Derek Tracy wrote:
> > I finally got the proprietary Nvidia Drivers to work (had to recompile
> > the drivers from src) with rawhide, but when I went to enable the
> > Desktop Effects it bombs out on me.  My question is where is the log
> > file that I can find the reason it is dying?
> >

> > --  R/S
> > ---------------------------------
> > Derek Tracy
> > tracyde at gmail.com
> > ---------------------------------
> >

> For information about the previous X session.
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
>
> If the bombing does not halt the X session and you can still use the GUI.
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> should contain information regarding the possible logging of error messages.
>
> Jim
>
> --
> Your business will assume vast proportions.
>
> --

Well, I kind of fixed the issue.  I started up the Desktop-effects
"manager" from the command line.  When I tried to enable the effects
there were some error messages printed out pointing to XLib Shape
extension, I did some googling on it and found the following command
as a solution that somebody found:
gconftool-2 -s '/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager' --type bool true

After running the command I was able to successfully start
Desktop-Effects.  I hope this helps somebody.

--
Derek Tracy
tracyde at gmail.com