Alternative to using swap for hibernating

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Apr 12 04:06:22 UTC 2007

I've been trying to figure out why one of my laptops just damn refuses to
hibernate.  It starts the hibernation process, turns off X, begins shrinking
memory, turning things off -- then boom!  it drops back into X, reconnects
to wireless, and just keeps on chugging.  Without really showing any
informative error message.

I finally found the clue in /var/log/messages:

Apr 11 23:57:55 lc2440 kernel: swsusp: Not enough free swap
Apr 11 23:57:55 lc2440 kernel: Restarting tasks … done.
Apr 11 23:57:55 lc2440 kernel: Enabling non-boot CPUs …

So, it can't fit the contents of RAM into swap.

This laptop has 2GB of ram.  I've partitioned the drive with a 512MB swap.

Now, I don't really feel like blowing 2GB of my laptop's hard drive on an
essentially useless swap partition.  Besides, it's a bit too late for me to
repartition.

Do I have any other ways to get hibernation working?