Fedora/RH policies sometimes suck

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 12 15:14:58 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>>> Sometimes the truth is funny... By design, there is no legal way to
>>> distribute a combination of GPL'd code and anything with different
>>> restrictions.
>>
>> Do you mean bundled together? You can certainly do that. A copyright
>> license cannot outright restrict mere bundles of unrelated components.
>
> I mean as described by the GPL - in anything that can be construed as a
> derived work containing any GPL'd code.  Such a thing can't be
> distributed unless GPL terms can apply to the work as a whole.

GPL license does not involve unrelated components. You claimed that a
combination is not possible. It certainly is. The restrictions on a
copyright license can only apply to code that uses it. Merely combining
components cannot ever be restricted by a copyright license.

>>  The only way a product that includes GPL'd code can
>>> contain any of those things is if someone buys the right to allow
>>> unlimited free redistribution and there is no practical way for many
>>> users to share the cost of that.
>>
>> Not true as has been indicated many times to you before. Look at
>> Freespire for example. They have patent licenses and include
>> proprietary codecs for gratis.
>
> Lots of places do lots of things that are not permitted by the GPL so I
> can't comment on whether this is a valid counterexample or not.

It is. Do your basic fact checks before you repeatedly claim things
which are not true. A Linux distribution can definitely include code
with different restrictions from GPL. In fact pretty much all the Linux
distributions do that.

Rahul