Restarting an Ethernet modem (ADSL) with software

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Thu Apr 12 19:33:46 UTC 2007

Hi Hugh;
On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 14:07 -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: William Case <billlinux at rogers.com>
[snip]
> Rogers.com isn't ADSL, it is cable TV broadband (DOCSIS).

Thanks, never got it straight in my mind what to call it until now.

> I ask because this sounds like you have a solution in mind for some
> problem and I suspect that there might be a better solution.
>
> William: I have found that my Rogers cable modems have been quite
> reliable (Lancity then SB5100).  Certainly more reliable than the rest
> of their network.  When I call Rogers with a trouble report, they
> often ask me to power cycle the modem but it has almost never makes a
> difference.

I have the Motorola SB5100 too.  About every three weeks my Internet
service goes down.  I have gotten so I just power cycle and it works
again.  Last time I called Rogers they said that they had checked me
remotely and that I was using a router therefore they couldn't help.  On
an earlier call I mentioned I was on Linux and they said they
couldn't/wouldn't help.  They have talked to me (never actually
suggested anything that helped) when I have had WindowsXP booted at the
time of the call.

No I don't have an idea for a solution, but I had hoped someone had a
suggestion on how I might try to power cycle from my computer rather
than running (or walking) down to the basement all the time.

[snip]

> More detailed discussion of the division of labour in home network
> components:
>
> Each of DOCSIS and ADSL require their own modems to convert the
> signal coming into your house into ethernet.
>
> With Rogers version of DOCSIS, the modem presents a regular TCP/IP
> ethernet access to the internet to the in-house network.  With one
> globally-routable IPv4 address.  (I have heard that they will let you
> have more IP addresses for a fee.)

[snip]

> For most people, a broadband router is useful as an intermediary
> between their modem and their modem (ADSL or DOCSIS).
>
> - broadband routers usually know how to do PPPoE
>
> - the typical router is an inexpensive turnkey box.  It should require
>   little maintenance and "just work".  Unaffected by computer upgades.
>
> - it allows multiple computers to connect to your LAN by using NAT
>   (NAPT really).  Most have built-in switches allowing 4 computers
>   to be directly connected (more with external switches).
>
> - it protects your LAN with a simple firewall (mostly: because of
>   NAPT, by default (i.e. without port forwarding) all communication
>   with the internet has to be initiated from the LAN side)
>
> - many broadband routers include an 802.11g wireless access point
>
> - most service providers will support broadband routers more willingly
>   than Linux (most of their MS Windows customers use them too).
>
> A broadband router isn't needed if you only have one computer and you
> trust its firewall.  A broadband router isn't sufficient if you have
> gateway policies that it cannot implement.

I have three computers; mine and two users with rogers.com sub-accounts
under my main account using the router to connect through one Motorola
modem.

By the way, this is a lot of good stuff to know that you have provided.
Thanks.

--
Regards Bill