lvm question

aragonx at dcsnow.com aragonx at dcsnow.com
Thu Apr 12 23:42:51 UTC 2007

> On Thursday 12 April 2007, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>Gene,
>>
>>> So I started a dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdd which cloned that 160GB drive
>>> a 200GB drive.
>>
>>AFAIK, when you dd in that manner, you are cloning as you say.  In that
>> way,
>>you are cloning everything.  By everything I mean you are cloning the
>> disk
>>label, partition table, inodes and all bad bits.  In effect, you've made
>>200GB drive into a 160GB drive.
>
> Rant mode on here Ed.
>
> Not permanently.  I was able to use fdisk and add a 4th partition to
> account
> for the rest of the drive after I was done.  That's why I asked the
> question
> about adding it to the LVM setup for real use, but no one has offered any
> how
> to on that, not yet anyway.

I did not catch the beginning of this thread so I don't know if this is
the information you want.  I'm guessing that you have this new partition
that you want added to your existing volume group.

First you can go to: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

Here are the steps as I see them:

pvcreate /dev/hdd4 (?)
vgextend my_volume_group /dev/hdd4
umount /dev/my_volume_group/my_logical_volume
resize2fs /dev/my_volume_group/my_logical_volume
mount /dev/my_volume_group/my_logical_volume /my_mount_point

Hope that helps.

believed to be clean.