network bug or feature in FC6 installer

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 14 00:37:17 UTC 2007

>> During install, at network configuration I want to give eth0 a static
>> IP rather than DHCP. So I choose 192.168.1.20, as the ipv4 address. I
>> leave the IPv6 entry blank, as I have no idea what to enter there. Of
>> course, the installer won't let me continue, so I'm forced to choose
>> dhcp.
>
> I've never had that issue.  I've always installed with a fixed IP.  You
> DO have to specify a netmask and gateway, however, or it won't continue.
> For a netmask, try 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1.

I too have always used fixed IP. By default the FC6 installer wants to
configure eth0 using dhcp and the gateway and dns entries are blocked
out. To enable them I have to highlight eth0, edit, then uncheck dhcp.
Only then will it let me enter the ipv4 address. If ipv6 support is
checked, understandably, it forces me to enter an ipv6 address/mask.

Do I want ipv6 support? I imagine it would be good to have. If so, what
address should I use? Would it be the ipv6 translation of my ipv4
address?

>> Next, with dhcp, at package selection, I want to enable the extras
>> repository, it prompts me again for network configuration, sends the
>> dhcp request and it crashes (some unhandled error, please save it on
>> floppy; I would if I had a floppy).
>
> That's a known issue.  Do NOT enable the extras repository during
> install.  Once the system's up, THEN enable it and "yum install"
> whatever you want.

Yes, that's what I do to get by, of course. I hope it will be fixed, if
it's known.

Thanks!