gmail blown up

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Apr 14 01:52:02 UTC 2007

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Les wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 17:30 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 21:03 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh, well, when you get something for free (gmail) you shouldn't really
>>> expect five-9s stability.
>>>
>>> - Gilboa
>>
>> Gilboa, I'm cleaning up on this end from the gmail Katrina experience.
>> So far I have 1,199 messages just for Fedora List and climbing. It goes
>> to show, the Universe will always remain at a steady state as something
>> got fixed "Real Good" (tm) and now a year or so of sent messages are
>> showing up in my in-box. I spewed, the Universe spewed back, clear back
>> to 2005. BTW, What is five-9s? :) Ric
>>
> Six Sigma for reliability.

Sorta...

Five 9s is .99999 reliability.

Six sigma is six standard deviations above the mean.  For a normal
probability distribution (the "bell-curve" for probability density), the
probability (area under the curve) to the left of \mu + 6 * \sigma is
about .999999999.  That is, six-sigma reliability is about nine 9s.

Gve us this day our daily buzzword...

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences