rss2email gives: Fatal error: could not connect to mail server "localhost"

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 07:30:44 UTC 2007

google groups had little to say on this, aside from making sure that the network
time protocol, ntp, is working.  It works everytime the pc boots, only failing
if I've forgotten to plug in an ethernet cord.  anyhow, the internet is working.

should I change from "localhost" to something else?  What's this message
indicative of, please?  Admittedly, my searching wasn't particularly thorough...

(no, I shouldn't be running as root.)

[root at localhost ~]#
[root at localhost ~]#
[root at localhost ~]# r2e
E: insufficient args

rss2email: get RSS feeds emailed to you
http://www.aaronsw.com/2002/rss2email

Usage:
  new [emailaddress] (create new feedfile)
  email newemailaddress (update default email)
  run [--no-send] [num]
  add feedurl [emailaddress]
  list
  delete n

[root at localhost ~]# r2e email hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Feedfile "/root/.rss2email/feeds.dat" does not exist.  If you're using r2e for
the first time, you
have to run 'r2e new' first.
[root at localhost ~]# r2e new
[root at localhost ~]# r2e email hawat.thufir at gmail.com
[root at localhost ~]# r2e list
default email: hawat.thufir at gmail.com
[root at localhost ~]# r2e add http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mcy/index.rss
[root at localhost ~]# r2e list
default email: hawat.thufir at gmail.com
1: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mcy/index.rss (default:
hawat.thufir at gmail.com)
[root at localhost ~]# r2e run

Fatal error: could not connect to mail server "localhost"
[root at localhost ~]# date
Sat Apr 14 08:19:30 BST 2007
[root at localhost ~]#
[root at localhost ~]#