rss2email gives: Fatal error: could not connect to mail server

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 08:45:58 UTC 2007

Todd Zullinger <tmz <at> pobox.com> writes:

> Thufir wrote:
> > should I have some sort of server running?
>
> The default config for the Fedora rss2email package tries to connect
> to localhost via SMTP to send email.  You can either:
>
>     a) run an SMTP server on your box
>     b) set SMTP_SEND=0* so /usr/sbin/sendmail is used to deliver mail
>     c) set SMTP_SERVER* to your ISP's SMTP server
>
> Good luck,
>
> * in ~/.rss2email/config.py

I installed sendmail with yum, but wonder if there might be an additional
configuration.

# Pine configuration file
#
# This file sets the configuration options used by Pine and PC-Pine. These
# options are usually set from within Pine or PC-Pine. There may be a
# system-wide configuration file which sets the defaults for some of the
# variables. On Unix, run pine -conf to see how system defaults have been set.
# For variables that accept multiple values, list elements are separated by
# commas. A line beginning with a space or tab is considered to be a
# continuation of the previous line. For a variable to be unset its value must
# be blank. To set a variable to the empty string its value should be "".
# You can override system defaults by setting a variable to the empty string.
# Lines beginning with "#" are comments, and ignored by Pine.

# Over-rides your full name from Unix password file. Required for PC-Pine.
personal-name=HAWAT.THUFIR

# Sets domain part of From: and local addresses in outgoing mail.
user-domain=GMAIL.COM

# List of SMTP servers for sending mail. If blank: Unix Pine uses sendmail.
smtp-server=smtp.gmail.com/user=hawat.thufir at gmail.com/ssl/novalidate-cert

# NNTP server for posting news. Also sets news-collections for news reading.
nntp-server=localhost

# Path of (local or remote) INBOX, e.g. ={mail.somewhere.edu}inbox
# Normal Unix default is the local INBOX (usually /usr/spool/mail/$USER).

[root at localhost .rss2email]#
[root at localhost .rss2email]# pwd
/root/.rss2email
[root at localhost .rss2email]#
[root at localhost .rss2email]# whoami
root
[root at localhost .rss2email]#
[root at localhost .rss2email]# set SMTP_SEND=0
[root at localhost .rss2email]# r2e run

Fatal error: could not connect to mail server "localhost"
[root at localhost .rss2email]#
[root at localhost .rss2email]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
#::1            localhost.localdomain localhost
[root at localhost .rss2email]#
[root at localhost .rss2email]# date
Sat Apr 14 09:43:33 BST 2007
[root at localhost .rss2email]#