Sound on ThinkPad 600X... again

Chris Schumann chris at idlelion.net
Sun Apr 15 22:39:48 UTC 2007

I have never gotten sound on a 600X running Linux to work after a suspend
and resume cycle. I think there is a bug in the snd_cs46xx module, but I
cannot confirm that, and wouldn't know where to report it anyway.

A new driver would be an ideal solution.

I'm a long-time Red Hat user, so I've been using Fedora Linux on the 600X's
that I take care of, and CentOS 5 starting today.

I've found one page that says you can put the line "MODULES=snd_cs46xx" in
the file /etc/default/acpi-support if you're using Ubuntu, but of course
that file doesn't exist in Fedora/RHEL/CentOS.

Is there a way I can force the removal of that module (rmmod snd_cs46xx) on
suspend and restarting of it (modprobe snd_cs46xx) upon resume? It's not
even easy to do manually because the Gnome desktop holds the device open all
the time.

To get it to work now after a resume, I have to log out, switch to a text
console, remove and re-start the module, switch back to the GUI and log in.
Sound works fine after that until another suspend/resume.

What's the right way to fix this? Find the driver maintainer?

Many thanks,
Chris Schumann