DVD drive not detected anymore

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Apr 16 22:25:10 UTC 2007

Henk Altena wrote:

> Recently my DVD combo drive a Philips PBDV1640P is  not detected by FC6
> x86_64 at the first booting of the machine. I have to boot a second
> time, then the DVD is detected.
> How can I force FC6 to detect my DVD so I do not have to boot twice ?

I think the first thing you have to do is "find the cause Henk".  :-)  Sorry
too much Star Wars on the brain.

Anyway, a few questions/comments.

1.  On the first boot, was the system powered off?
2.  On the reboot, did you simply reboot via the system menu or did you
shutdown and power cycle the system?
3.  On the first boot, save /var/log/dmesg someplace and reboot.  Then
compare the /var/log/dmesg file created at the second boot.