Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Apr 17 08:51:24 UTC 2007

Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:

First, your subject probably should have read "Why do most people run MS OS
instead of Linux or another OS".  It is not a good idea to send out a
subject as you did as some folks may take it the wrong way or may think
you're trolling or wishing to start another MS v.s. Linux rough up.

> ( note: this message may have occured earlier, while
> I have not seen it on the list )

No.

> I hope to be excused as it was very complicated to
> figure out the Fedora jungle of where to ask og
> suggest anything.
>
> Microsoft:
>
> When it crashes, you insert the software CD, and
> somehow you will get
> going again.
>
> Fedora&RedHat:
>
> When it crashes, you insert the software CD, but
> instead of
> the situation above, most of your work is lost !

My experiences over the past 20 years has been the precise opposite.

> I suggest that the installation WILL have an OPTION
> for installing the
> X-server. It can be on the rescue disk, for instance.

Are you talking about, or attempting to start a discussion about the general
nature of recovery from a "crash" (define crash) or are you talking about
what to do in specific cases?

> If anyone has a good tip as how to reinstall X in
> Fedora6, I sure would like to know and hopefully rescue my
> disk.
> But frankly, I don't understand why such an option
> isn't there in the first place.

The philosophy of MS seems to always been..."when something seems broken,
reinstall" while the philosophy of *nix has been "when something seems
broken, find the root cause and act accordingly".

> BTW - it was the Add/Remove software packaged that
> failed, it should only remove some graphical package,
> but surprisingly removed the X-server as well.
> ( did look like it rolled back the depencies.. )

Well, you haven't told anyone what you did *exactly* so I think the
"failure" you experienced is hard to discuss.