Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Apr 17 10:45:18 UTC 2007

Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ( note: this message may have occured earlier, while
> I have not seen it on the list )
>
> I hope to be excused as it was very complicated to
> figure out the Fedora jungle of where to ask og
> suggest anything.
>
> Microsoft:
>
> When it crashes, you insert the software CD, and
> somehow you will get
> going again.

But it also does annoying and failures that deem a clean install the
only remedy. I recently have experienced problems where XP would detect
SATA drives and USB keyboards. It would then prompt for a reboot needed
in order to use new features.

The only problem is that the "new feature is a continuous cycle where
the computer would reboot while loading XP. The result, the system is
trashed and needs rebuilt.

> Fedora&RedHat:
>
> When it crashes, you insert the software CD, but
> instead of
> the situation above, most of your work is lost !

On the same system, take a disk that was setup on another computer type
using a different chipset. Boot the system up and only need to remove
certain hardware that no longer exists. Add the new hardware by using
the GUI tools. The system is pretty much the same as it was before.

>                      -------------------
>
> True/False ?

XP is a very irritating and unreliable OS = (TRUE)

> I suggest that the installation WILL have an OPTION
> for installing the
> X-server. It can be on the rescue disk, for instance.
>
>                  ------------------
>
> If anyone has a good tip as how to reinstall X in
> Fedora6,
> I sure would like to know and hopefully rescue my
> disk.
> But frankly, I don't understand why such an option
> isn't
> there in the first place.

Usually installing the X server via yum will pull in items which are
needed by running yum.
yum groupinstall "X Window System"
would pull in needed items for the X system. You could run.
yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
for GNOME or similar commmands for the KDE desktop or XFCE for instance.

The rescue environment is more for getting the system basics working
correctly. I don't know if having a GUI interface for rescue mode would
help or hinder matters.

> //ARNE
>

> BTW - it was the Add/Remove software packaged that
> failed, it should only remove some graphical package,
> but surprisingly removed the X-server as well.
> ( did look like it rolled back the depencies.. )

This problem is a horrible feature when removing software. I have seen
this problem happening with removal of some programs. The user needs to
be careful. The packager needs to be careful also with preventing
dependencies which could get you in this type of problem.

Now after reading your major problem in the tail of the message, the
installer could provide sort of features to install software on command,
like linux install "X server". Maybe one day there will be such features
to the installer. I don't know how hard it would be to implement. It
sounds complicated, but some love the challenge and positive results
from their efforts.

Jim

--
The law will never make men free; it is men who have got to make the law
free.