[Fedora] Re: Failover setup

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Tue Apr 17 17:21:34 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 17 April 2007 19:06:27 Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
> > Well, an aproach could be setting up a machine where LVS and Keepalived
> > would be installed BEFORE the FC6 machine and of course, you would need
> > two machines acting as a firewall (if I'm correct, this machine also acts
> > a router).
> > Bear in mind if you want any failover system you would need two machines,
> > one as a setup, of course, if not, there's no way to build a proper HA
> > enviroment.
>
>     So I would need 3 machines to work in tandem here?  Where the setup
> might look something like:
>
>                                       /--> FC6-1 --\
>     INTERNET ---> CSU/DSU ---> LVM -->              --> ProCurve Switch
>                                       \--> FC6-2 --/

You might want something like:

                                                     /->FC6-1--\
INTERNET ---> CSU/DSU---->LVS-->			--> ProCurve Switch
						    \->FC6-1--/

This way, if your FC6-1 fails, LVS wil notice it and send all your clients
through the second machine, that's to say FC6-2. So then, you'll have an HA
enviroment, and no one will realised which gateway they are using to connect
to the ProCurve switch, or whatever you want to set up behind those FC6. In
addition, by using LVS and Keepalive you could have a load balancer in the
LVS machine and setting up a round robin balancer. This is not the point
here, but it's just another possiblity to take advantaje of that LVS machine,
only if you really think you need it ;-)

Hope this helps
All the best.
--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.