Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 18:50:11 UTC 2007

On 4/17/07, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I know that already. And if I was a "newbie" i probably wouldn't
> even know how to find this mailing list.
>
> My point is how would you answer to this question to your
> wife/girlfriend or brother/sister or even mother/father? That is the
> base or my question! And there is no answer that is good enough
> because there should be a CLEAR distinction in extension for ogg video
> and audio files IMHO.

The age of the separate audio and video media player is largely
passed. So they just double-click on it and don't worry about
extensions.

As Rahul mentioned, newbs don't care about extensions. In fact, if
they have been running Windows, they have been conditioned to not know
that extensions even *exist* since Windows hides them by default (one
of my big pet peeves) and finding the dialog to enable them is not
newbie friendly.

I know where you are coming from but I don't think that this will be
traumatizing for newbs and may be somewhat simplifying since they just
have to know that it is media ... not audio media or video media and
have to find the right player.

/Mike