Claws-Mail: a fantastic mail client

Jorge Luis Gonzalez lists at jorge.cc
Tue Apr 17 21:41:43 UTC 2007

I'm not one of the developers and this is a totally unprompted
recommendation, but, if you haven't tried it, I can't say enough good
things about the Claws Mail client.  It's an extended version of
Sylpheed, I think, and is the only graphical (Gtk) mail program I've
found that comes anywhere near to Mutt.

Unlike Evolution, it does only one thing, but it does that one
thing--mail handling--very, very well indeed.  Plugins are available
to handle PGP in all its various permutations; to read PDFs inline;
there's even a Perl plugin that allows you to script actions that
can't be configured natively, though what those may be I can't
imagine.

If you're looking for a mail client that can chew through a large
number of mailing lists, do check it out: threaded indexing (à la
Mutt), handles quote levels in contrasting colors (like Mutt), and is
set up for easy pre- and post-processing of mails.  It's also
fast--much faster than Evolution.  (I have to admit that even as a Nat
and Miguel fanboi.)

I still use Mutt to read mail on the server, but when I'm on my Fedora
box, Claws Mail is just so good I just had to share.

(Be sure to get the claws-mail-plugins RPM if you try it out.)

      JL
--
Jorge Luis González <lists at jorge.cc>
PGP KEY -> 0x65751721