Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 18 00:27:58 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 01:38 -0700, Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
> If anyone has a good tip as how to reinstall X in Fedora6, I sure
> would like to know and hopefully rescue my disk. But frankly, I don't
> understand why such an option isn't there in the first place.

Because it's generally not needed.  It's not going to get uninstalled
without your say so.  Anyone who removes things without checking that
anything else is going to get removed, first, only has themselves to
blame.  You are prompted.

You could try doing "yum install xorg-x11-server-Xorg.i386" and see if
it pulls in everything else you need.  I'm guessing that you'd do it in
one hit with "yum groupinstall X Window System".

I've only installed X manually, once, and that was ages ago.  I added it
to a text-only installation.  I haven't had to put it back on what was a
graphical system.

> BTW - it was the Add/Remove software packaged that failed, it should
> only remove some graphical package, but surprisingly removed the
> X-server as well. ( did look like it rolled back the depencies.. )

Yes, it can be surprising how removing one thing will remove another,
and things that don't seem obvious.  But unless you blindly accept
what's going to happen, you have to okay it first, and it shows you
what's going to happen.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.