Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 08:47:42 UTC 2007

On 17/04/07, Arne Chr. Jorgensen <achrisjo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ( note: this message may have occured earlier, while
> I have not seen it on the list )

First time I've received it. Good of you to warn just in case, though.

> I hope to be excused as it was very complicated to
> figure out the Fedora jungle of where to ask og
> suggest anything.

Googling "fedora help" had this as the first entry:

FedoraForum.org - Fedora Core Support Forum & Community
2 Million Fedora Core 6 Installs; Fedora Core 6 Linux Eclipses 2M User
Mark; Talking points for Fedora 7 release; Fedora Infrastructure needs
your help! ...
www.fedoraforum.org/ - 37k - 16 אפריל 2007 - הועבר למטמון - דפים דומים - Filter
Forums - forums.fedoraforum.org/index.php
Search - www.fedoraforum.org/forum/search.php
Register Now! - forums.fedoraforum.org/register.php
עוד תוצאות מתוך www.fedoraforum.org

So I don't know why you found it difficult to find help. On th other
hand, googling "windows help" had no forums or mailing lists, and the
official MS site (which charges money for anython other than
installation help) was second on the list. The first? A
made-for-adsense site that simply mirrored the MS security bulletins.

> Microsoft:
>
> When it crashes, you insert the software CD, and
> somehow you will get
> going again.

Yes, with Windows if it breaks you reinstall it. Just like glass
windows. And they both are prone to breaking again. Linux (not
specifeically RH) is intended to be fixed, and made less prone to
breaking.

> Fedora&RedHat:
>
> When it crashes, you insert the software CD, but
> instead of
> the situation above, most of your work is lost !

I've never had a software installation touch my personal files. You
should save your work in /home/user, where software installation
doesn't touch (with the exception of the dot files, where your work
shouldn't be stored either).

>                      -------------------
>
> True/False ?
>
> I suggest that the installation WILL have an OPTION
> for installing the
> X-server. It can be on the rescue disk, for instance.

True, you suggest this.

>                  ------------------
>
> If anyone has a good tip as how to reinstall X in
> Fedora6,
> I sure would like to know and hopefully rescue my
> disk.
> But frankly, I don't understand why such an option
> isn't
> there in the first place.

Yum. That's what it's for.

> //ARNE
>

> BTW - it was the Add/Remove software packaged that
> failed, it should only remove some graphical package,
> but surprisingly removed the X-server as well.
> ( did look like it rolled back the depencies.. )

Did you read what it was going to do before entering Y? You should have.

Dotan Cohen

http://chat-message-boards.com/
http://what-is-what.com/