Fedora 6 strange hangs

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 11:36:23 UTC 2007

On 4/17/07, Al Graziano <al.graziano at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope some can help me as I am getting very frustrated.
>
> I have recently update my Fedora 6 to the latest kernel etc. and I am
> now experiencing some very strange, apparently random behaviour
>
> 1) All of a sudden the system starts going very very slow until it
> eventually hangs and has to be rebooted with the laptop power button

I've seen something similar. I have a box running mythtv which has 2
pvr500 tv cards in it. When all 4 tuners are recording, on a 2.6.19
kernel I'd see the load average get up to 5 or so, and the system
would still be useable. With kernel-2.6.20-1.2933, the system would
melt down - the load average would hit 20 or so and the only way to
get sanity back would be to kill processes using a lot of memory
(typically the X server). Rolling back to 2.6.19 made the problem go
away. I haven't tried any newer kernel.

I'm reluctant to blame the kernel specifcally (especially as I've not
found anyone complaining about problems). I have a legacy nvidia
graphics card, so I'm running nvidia-graphics9631-kmdl, plus
ivtv-kmdl-2.6.19-1.2911 to drive the pvr500s. But as reverting the
kernel (and thus the kmdls) fixed it, I concluded that there's
something wrong with the kernel+kmdl combination.

My system is quite old (athlon 2800+), but has 1.5Gb memory and the
same amount of swap, and normally seems able to handle anything I
throw at it.

So in summary, try using a 2.6.19 kernel instead and see if it helps.
Please report back here either way.

Regards,

Chris