Curious kmail question

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Apr 18 17:54:41 UTC 2007

linuxmaillists at charter.net wrote:

>>> I suspect that kmail isn't a very clever IMAP client
>>> then.
>> It does seem kmail is not as great as it could be.
>
> Kmail works just fine with IMAP.

If you have a large folder and a slower server (my Dovecot is running on
a 180MHz ARM using a USB flash stick as the IMAP store), you notice that
kmail is repeatedly putting up its "fetching from the server" graphic
and pulling the folder indexes over and over, which takes many seconds
when switching between folders.  Thunderbird doesn't do that.  I have
also had KMail segfault, but not Thunderbird.

This is a few months old but matches my experience

''Ultimately, KMail didn't work for me either. It has a number of
extremely serious IMAP and DIMAP bugs which prevent it from being used
in production. In an effort to confirm this, I did consult with folks at
#kontact. It was hard to track anyone down over the course of two days
but I finally did find someone who was able to tell me that KMail isn't
being worked on - all the core developers are busy with their day jobs.
Apparently, all of the bugs I experienced are regressions that have
existed since the KDE 3.4 time frame (some six months ago). ...''

http://jasondclinton.livejournal.com/56961.html

Please understand I really like KDE and kmail/kontact was my first
choice.  But at the moment I don't recommend it for IMAP at least.

-Andy