Curious kmail question

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 18 20:52:11 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 18 April 2007, Andy Green wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> One needs advice when the lack is in the user.  If the lack is in the
> >> software, that takes developers to sort out.
> >
> > Just a thought, Andy.  If you have a problem and linuxmaillists and I
> > don't, does that mean that the lack is in the software?
>
> *big gallic shrug*
>
> My experiences are that stock, unmeddled-with KMail terminates abruptly
> sometimes on my setup, blocks the UI while it repeatedly fetches stuff
> from the server on folder selection, where Thunderbird multitasks and is
> highly stable.  Therefore I don't use KMail any more.  I actually tried
> it the other week because I hankered after the gpg sig handling it used
> to give me but it still broke after five minutes.  Fresh-installed Apps
> blowing chunks and terminating on an otherwise stable platform is an app
> issue, as is the UI blocking and alleged repeated folder fetching.
>
> Great that you have a better experience, but for sure your experience
> does not negate mine any more than mine negates yours.
>
>From time to time kmail has a problem when something damages the indexes.  I
don't know whether that's the cause of your problem, but it's worth taking a
look.  Usually just one of your folders is affected.  If that's your case,
then delete all the index files for that folder.  They will be recreated, and
stability should return.

T'bird does, of course, have enigmail.

HTH

Anne