root disk moves from PATA to SATA

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Apr 18 21:18:36 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Florin Andrei <florin <at> andrei.myip.org> writes:
>> I am planning to keep the existing PATA hard-drive and not reinstall FC6
>> (I will upgrade to FC7 when it comes out), but instead I'll use a
>> SATA-PATA adapter between drive and mobo. The problem, of course, is
>> that PATA is /dev/hda while SATA will be /dev/sda
>
> F7 will use /dev/sda for everything (even PATA) anyway, so maybe a better plan
> is to wait for F7, do the upgrade (letting Anaconda worry about the hda->sda
> migration), then do the hardware upgrade.

I was hoping I don't have to wait, but it may happen that way, I can't
find my XP CD and license, and based on past experience I don't want to
install Windows after I install Linux - I did that once and Windows took
unwarranted liberties with the partition table, thereby trashing Linux
and giving me a serious case of antimicrosoftitis.

So I'd rather just reserve space on the drive for Linux, then install
Windows in the remaining free space when I find the CD, then go back and
fully install Linux, with grub on the superblock of the /boot partition.
This strategy seems to work pretty well.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/