FC2 to 5 upgrade

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 18 22:51:39 UTC 2007

> CentOS or Scientific Linux give you essentially the same packages without
> the support contract (and thus also without the cost associated with it).

Yes, both these distros are directly derived from RHEL. Part of their mission
statements are to remain as close as possible to RHEL.

If you install these you will get a system that is basically RHEL, without the
cost (and thus the 'official' support). I use Scientific Linux systems at
work (a lab working with CERN, one of the homes of SL...) and it works very
well I think.

Chris